Sunday, June 20, 2010

Advice from Winnie the Pooh

20 years old. 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8....


Sometimes going back to childhood memories, wisdom, and books can offer insight we missed way back when.

Today I spent part of the afternoon browsing through Powell's books in Portland (I must say, the most wonderfully overwhelming place on the planet). I wandered to the children's section, and quickly found myself absorbed in A.A. Milne's "The Pooh Book of Quotations." Not only is A.A. Mllne a fabulously engaging writer, but also an author of wisdom...simple and pure wisdom applicable to everyday life.

Here are some of my favorite quotes. Some insightful, some merely delightful.

"I think not today, dear. Another day."
"Tomorrow?" said Roo hopefully.
"We'll see," said Kanga.
"You're always seeing, and nothing ever happens," said Roo sadly."


Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.
"Pooh!" He whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. "I just wanted to be sure of you."

If people ask me,
I always tell them:
"Quite well, thank you, I'm very glad to say."
If people ask me,
I always answer,
"Quite well, thank you, how are you today?"
I always answer,
I always tell them,
if they ask me politely...but sometimes
I wish
That they wouldn't.

My other favorite childhood book is Betsy~Tacy. Besty, with her brown braids, and Tacy, with her red curls, let nothing hold them back from taking adventures on a pink feather, having picnics without baskets, or making memories. I want to learn to have picnics without baskets and to take my own journeys atop a pink feather.

8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20....

maybe it's okay to be 20 years old, a grown up, and read and learn from children's books.

Actyally, I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment