Saturday, May 21, 2011

Random lessons. Oh, life.

I am random. I go on tangents. So that is how this post is going to be.

A list of things I am learning about life and myself:

1) My friends are beautiful people. I feel so blessed to have such people in my life who truly love me. I cherish the easy silence that some of them bring. We can sit together in a room, not saying a word, and that's okay. Being with such people is almost like being alone...in a good way. I cherish the fact that I am able to laugh to the point of tears with some people. Oh, dear people in my life who make me laugh, allow me to laugh, and laugh with me...thank you. I cherish the fact that my friends keep me on their minds and hearts and in their prayers. I cherish the friends that are at least as busy as I am, so we don't hang out that much. But that's okay, we don't have to. When we do, our time is quality. High quality. I leave our conversations with life poured into me. I cherish my friends that I only get to see a couple of times a year, but when we get together, there is no need to "catch up." No awkwardness. Yes, these friends are very important to me.

2) I need alone time more than I ever thought I did. In the past, I associated "needing alone time" with feeling overwhelmed or depressed. But that is not how it is now, not at all! Now it is just something that I love. During lunch each day at work I eat quickly, grab my Bible and journal, and walk around the lake. I think while I walk. I have a favorite bench that I usually go to. It is a picnic table, so there is writing space. It is hidden by the trees just enough that I feel safe and enclosed, while still being right next to the lake with a beautiful view. Or if it is raining, I go to the 102 year old school house, sit in a wrought iron desk, and pour my thoughts and prayers on to pages. It is wonderful.

3) I feel so much better when I work out consistently. I feel healthy and happy. I am proud of myself for keeping it up for longer than I ever have before in my life.

4) I have a lot of trouble with annoying people. I get so frustrated with myself for letting them get to me. When I am around annoying people, I get tense. I let every mannerism and mistake of theirs get under my skin. Why? Why?! I should be able to act like a "grown up" and get over it. Okay, so I do act like a grown up and try and suppress my frustration, but I sure as heck feel it. It drives me crazy.

5) I can never work at a desk job long term. I need to be with people and be moving.

6) I process things really quickly. Emotions, thoughts, transition, feelings. I feel as though I understand these things very well (hence my passion for psychology). This can be so good at times. I usually understand myself very well and can deal with life from a level-headed and informed standpoint. But it can also be frustrating at times. Not everyone processes quickly. It is not better or worse to process quickly or slowly, but it requires patience on my part. Patience to allow people to take time to understand themselves.


Enough randomness for today. Oh, life.

No comments:

Post a Comment