I've had a lot of thoughts in my head lately, but I haven't felt like writing. And I decided when I started this blog that I will never force myself to write, and I that I will write for myself, not for other people. That's why sometimes I write more than others. And usually when I do write, it's about random things that I just think are neat.
Like today. Today was nice. First of all, it was sunny. (Note: I catch myself and hesitate every time I think about talking about the weather, because weather is THE most generic topic and something everyone over talks about. But today affected me and it is worth talking about.) I was happy. At my theater classes, I felt present (which makes teaching SO much easier!), and I enjoyed the kids. After I was done teaching my normal classes, I filled in for someone and got to play the piano and help kids with their audition pieces. I miss piano. I'm not very good anymore, but I want to be. And playing is so good for me.
And then I got to sit and smell the summer air and think. I found a nearby cathedral and just sat on a step...and prayed...and thought...and was honest with myself and God. I think I may have found a new thin place. I was able to breathe deeply, and my thoughts were able to come slowly instead of rushing through my head like they usually do. I really needed that, and I smiled.
And then I met up with Rommie and we walked downtown. I love walking. Like...really...I LOVE walking. I could walk for ever and ever, almost. I lose track of time and it just feels good. We walked around downtown and drank coffee and sat and walked more and people watched. The city was bustling as though all of Portland were rejoicing together and saying, "Hallelujah! It's pretty outside. Let's be out together." The city seemed happy.
And then we met up with Lisa and Kaitlin and had dinner at a small restaurant on the east side. We ate good food and drank good beer and had no agenda. It was lovely (minus the lady next to us who had an annoying dog that she blatantly watched annoy us and our neighbor table. Both tables straight up asked her to keep her dog away from us. Some people. Seriously...I know I'm overreacting, but seriously. Keep your dog to yourself. Whatever.).
And then we walked a lot, and picked out houses that we want to live in. Mine had a big porch. And then we sat outside of a little bar at a table with a candle, and I tried whisky for the first time. I like being with people who don't take energy to be around.
Maybe sometimes it's good not to plan every minute of life. Planning every moment leaves no room for good, unexpected things to happen, like today. I need a good, unplanned day filled with wandering and whisky every once in a while.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment