Saturday, March 9, 2013

this started off as random, and ended up mostly about feminism...

Why have I not written in a while? Because I'm overwhelmed with thoughts and feelings and have not been (and still am not) sure how to articulate what is in my head. And when this happens, the main words that come to mind are swear words (I don't really know why...possibly they are a cop out way of expressing myself?), and I didn't want to write a whole post of those, so I didn't write. So...I guess I will make this post a summary, random post. (So what else is new?) (I guess I'm loving parentheses right now...)

I have been thinking about feminism. A lot about feminism. This word used to have a very negative connotation for me. This has been one hell of a journey as I unpack why this is, and question things, and change my mind about things, and admit things. This journey has affected me physically (I literally threw up once, and I'm pretty sure it was due to anxiety), mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. I'm kind of on a break from redefining things right now because I have to be. Lisa let me borrow the book "Dance of the Dissident Daughter," and let's just say that book rocked (and I'm sure will continue) to rock my world. There were points when I would read four pages and slam the book shut and throw it on the bed, crying, because it tore me apart. In the BEST way. I've had crazy feminism dreams that are packed with meaning. I've been questioning faith. Recently, though, I've decided to approach feminism from a more humorous, lighthearted (although still challenging angle) by reading some Caitlin Moran.

Oh, Caitlin. So funny. Pretty sure her section on flirting was the best explanation I've ever read.

Anyway, Caitlin Moran suggested that saying "I am a strident feminist" out loud changes one's being. So I did. I did not yell it while standing on a chair as she suggests, but I have been telling people. Do you want to hear some reactions people have displayed when I tell them I'm "a feminist" or "going through a feminist trip?" They are quite pathetic and slightly comical. Mostly depressing.

Me: "I'm kind of on this feminist kick."

Lady: "Oh, I went through that once."

No, dear woman, this is not a phase I'm planning on going through and coming out of, like adolescence or an obsession with Taylor Swift. Pretty sure it's more than that. Or how about:

Me: "I am a strident feminist."

Male: (Laughs)"I pray for feminists. I'm sure if you say you're a feminist, then our definitions must be different."

Well, if your definition of a feminist is that a woman does not need to submit to anyone just because she has a vagina, then no, sir, pretty sure our definitions are the same. OR, if you believe that a woman is merely entitled to give her opinion to a male, and then he gets to make all the decisions and might "take her thoughts into consideration," then you are a misogynist, and yes, our beliefs are different.

Well I guess the preceding paragraphs were all about feminism, which is fine, I guess I can write more later.

Like about the fact that I have been itching to dance, busy but lonely, eaten a flower, feeling numb, watching Parks and Recreation, feeling rebellious, rehearsing a scene in which I speak with a British accent, journaling less than ever, reading more than ever.

Yes. Maybe next time.

1 comment:

  1. I've recently eaten a flower recently too. :) If I heard someone say to me, "I pray for feminists." I would say, "Oh, do you not believe in full personhood for women? I guess if you're not a feminist that makes you an asshole." Am I angry? Maybe juuuuust a little. But today I heard about a girl in Yemen who went to court around the age of ten to divorce the man her father sold her to, then in the ensuing media coverage it seemed her father had changed, but no! She had proceeds from a book that were supposed to pay for her education and a house and he has used that money to buy a new wife, has kicked her out of the house (that was hers), she's not going to school and he is about to sell her younger sister too. Guess what? Under Islamic law, he's perfectly within his rights to do all of the above.

    And people wonder why feminists yell while standing on top of chairs.

    ReplyDelete