Tuesday, September 6, 2011

what a good chapter.

Yesterday I went back to Fox. Not to visit, I was just meeting someone and it seemed like a convenient place. It was strange.

The first thing that hit me was the smell. I think it is just the smell of grass, but it is a distinct grassy smell. It made me flash back to what this time of year meant for me the past four years. Orientation...new beginnings...excitement...seeing friends...so much anticipation! And then I watched people around me, living life just as I had done. Going to dinner in groups with their floors. Doing homework on the quad. Getting out of class.

I also ran into people I know. Several of them. It is as though I belong in this context, yet I don't. Walking through campus, I realized that I have a zillion memories attached to each place, yet they seem so distant. Almost like I am walking through a story in a book that I once read.

I don't feel like I want to be back there though. Yes I love classes and learning and people, but I feel like I can close that chapter of my life, set down my tea, smile, and say, "Well, that was a good story." It was a good time, and so is this.

No comments:

Post a Comment