I am quitting things! This people pleasing, overcommitting, overachieving woman is not only saying "no," but quitting things. It feels so good.
Last week I heard Bob Goff (author of "Love Does") speak. That man is my hero. He put his cell phone number in the back of his bestselling book and said "bitchin'" at church. He is beyond living his life to meet the expectations of others. Anyway, he explained that every single Thursday, he quits something. A bad habit, a commitment...something. I love that. Last Thursday, I quit one of my church commitments. I got to the point where I realized that some "good" things were becoming a substitute for necessities. Like sleep. And relationships. And even simply doing what I think I actually should be doing in this season.
Kristy reminded me that I'm not stuck. I choose my schedule. I control it and it does not control me (even though that is how it feels all too often). Another thought Bob Goff mentioned was that being an intelligent, high-functioning being has its problems. Because we are so high functioning, we are able to do a lot. Often times we take on things that we are able to do simply because...well...we are able. Because we can. But if we were to devote time and energy to everything that we are "able" to do, that would leave very little time to pour into the things we were made to do. Things that give us life. Things that make us smile. Things that allow us to use the things for which we were naturally gifted. Innate passions and talents that are just waiting to be expressed and developed!
So yes. I quit. And it is liberating.
And tomorrow is Thursday.
Time for more quittin'.

No comments:
Post a Comment