Monday, July 4, 2011

a beautiful encounter.

I really appreciate the older generations and when I "happen" to run into random people who speak into my life. Combine the two together and that describes a beautiful experience I was blessed by today.

I needed solitude. I needed to run! So I did. Somehow I ended up on the "friendsview loop," a beautiful, hilly loop that is perfect for shady running and tree hi-fiving. My mind was spinning, prayers pouring out, and emotional energy was being placed in physical exertion. Ahead of me was a man and a woman sitting on a bench, Bible open in hand, smiling at me. I jogged by, smiled at them, and said hi.

Stop.

So I did. We chatted for a moment, then they asked me if I had time to read the Bible with them. Of course I did, so I sat next to them and the man opened up the Scriptures and read about love.

Hmm...what a prevalent theme.

The woman then read from a devotional book that spoke on the same topic. Then we all held hands, and they prayed for me and for us. They asked me to pray for them as well, so I did.

The deep peace and wisdom that was exuded from their beings was so needed and refreshing. The honesty with which they shared their thoughts moved both they and myself nearly to tears. I was encouraged. Here I am, at nearly 22 years old, at unrest and at peace. And there they are, nearly 90, having suffered many times of unrest and hurt and tragedy, and they are at peace. I will be at peace. They trust in God so deeply and I needed to see that.

I left and continued on my run, and they said they hoped to see me again. I hope so too.

No comments:

Post a Comment